The Annotated Luther, Volume 4: Pastoral Writings
Release Date: Wednesday, June 1, 2016
Format: Hardcover, 384 pages 7.25 x 9.25 inches
Item No: 9781451462722
Volume 4 of The Annotated Luther series presents an array of Luther’s writings related to pastoral work. Luther’s famous Invocavit Sermons and other selected sermons show a forthright and lively preacher. Hymn texts reveal Luther’s grasp of hymnody as a tool for conveying and expressing faith. His Small Catechism as well as several pieces on prayer, including his Personal Prayer Book and A Simple Way to Pray, show his engagement in the basic task of teaching the faith. Luther’s prefaces to his own writings contain personal reflections on his reforming work. Also in this volume are his commentary on The Magnificat. Selected letters, and shorter pieces that display his pastoral responses to particular situations: Sermon on Preparing to Die, Whether One May Flee from a Deadly Plague, and Comfort for Women Who Have Had a Miscarriage.
Each volume in The Annotated Luther series contains new introductions, annotations, illustrations, and notes to help shed light on Luther’s context and interpret his writings for today. The translations of Luther’s writings include updates of Luther’s Works, American Edition or entirely new translations of Luther’s German or Latin writings.
Introduction to Volume 4
Part I: Sermon and Song
1. The Invocavit Sermons, 1522—Martin J. Lohrmann
2. Selected Sermons—Mary Jane Haemig
3. Selected Hymns—Dorothea Wendebourg
Part II: Teaching and Prayer
4. A Sermon on Prayer and Procession during Rogation Days, 1519—Mary Jane Haemig
5. Little Prayer Book, 1522—Mary Jane Haemig
6. The Small Catechism, 1529—Timothy J. Wengert
7. A Simple Way to Pray, 1535—Eric Lund
Part III: Pastoral Care and Consolation
8. A Sermon on Preparing to Die, 1519—Anna Marie Johnson
9. Magnificat, 1521—Beth Kreitzer
10. Whether One May Flee from a Deadly Plague, 1527—Anna Marie Johnson
11. That Christians Should Bear Their Cross with Patience, 1530—Ken Sundet Jones and Mark C. Mattes
12. Consolation for Women Whose Pregnancies Have Not Gone Well, 1542—Kristen E. Kvam
13. Selected Letters—John A. Maxfield
Part IV: Reflections on Reform
14. Preface to the Wittenberg Edition of Luther’s German Writings, 1539—Erik H. Herrmann
15. Preface to the Latin Works, 1545—Robert Kolb
You can imprint a name or message on this product. Click on the word "imprintable" to be taken to an online form for imprinting.
Click here for more information.